Some things I saw while in England in September '07 that may be of interest to others here at the Museum

Monday, October 15, 2007

At the British Museum - some new ideas (Lynn Grant)


This was my first trip back to the British Museum since they'd done their major renovation: filling in the central hollow square and turning it into a reception/special exhibit/shop/cafe space - something like what the masterplan envisions for the inner courtyards, I think. I liked it. The Xian warriors exhibit was due to open two days after I was there and the hype was enormous.

One neat new idea was stations like these in the galleries. Manned by volunteers, they gave visitor a chance to directly experience artifacts similar to those exhibited in the gallery.

Can you believe a conservator is actually almost encouraging artifact handling? But, with the right artifact choices, it's an idea worth considering.





















The BM had its collecting philosophy prominently displayed in its Egyptian gallery:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was in the BM in July, and liked these things a lot too.