Some things I saw while in England in September '07 that may be of interest to others here at the Museum

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Welcome

My trip to England last month gave me a lot of food for thought and some ideas and experiences that I wanted to share with colleagues here at UPMAA but I wasn't sure what medium would be best. I finally decided a blog might work, because people could pick and choose and go at their own pace. This is my first attempt at anything like this, bear with the glitches. I put in as many pictures as I could to make it interesting. Clicking on the pictures will enlarge them.
I tried to break it down into subject specific postings:
The conference - a bit about the conference I went to, mostly interest for Egyptological stuff and conservation.
Mummy wrapping - a workshop I went to which may be of interest to Education and Events and the craft lovers among you.
At the British Museum - some interesting initiatives in the BM galleries
Cross-cultural exhibits - two exhibits at the BM that are thematic rather than geo- or cultural-centric. One seemed to work better than the other.
The Wellcome Collection - a newly opened exhibit space with some interesting exhibit ideas.
The 'other' Ur - a brief look at the BM's gallery
Gallery extras - what the BM and Fitzwilliam were doing to keep their galleries relevant without renovation
Mounts - what's in use Over There
Storage - some storage ideas we may find useful
Tourism - pretty pictures of Cambridge

Hope you find something interesting and feel free to comment, either on the blog, by email, or in person.


No comments: