Some things I saw while in England in September '07 that may be of interest to others here at the Museum

Monday, October 15, 2007

The 'other' Ur

I was really interested in seeing the BM's Ur material, having spent so much time with ours over the last 10 years. There was little mention of the Penn Museum's partnership in the excavations in their labelling. You'd never know we had most of Pu Abi's jewelry.




This is their version of the handmaiden, looking a little tatty, but I think it dates to the 30s....



To be fair, I took the guided tour offered by one of their volunteer docents and he definitely gave the Penn Museum fair billing (even before I told him that was where I worked).
This is their crushed handmaiden skull. Unlike ours, this one was crushed top down (instead of from the side), giving a good idea of the original layout of the gold ribbons.

Their ram.



No comments: